How do you become awesome at emergency triage?
Is it possible to create a perfect emergency triage system? How will triage work in the future?
This lecture from the Swedish National Emergency Nursing Conference (Akutsjuksköterskedagarna 2019) busts some triage myths, provides top advice from experienced nurses and offers a glimpse into the future of triage.
The lecture is in Swedish and has English subtitles.
Conflicts of interest
- I previously performed a project for Predicare (a non-profit company developing RETTS, a triage system commonly used in Sweden)
- I currently work for Doktor24, a digiphysical healthcare provider that develops and provides digital triage systems
- All the nurses that responded to the survey regarding triage
- SENA (Swedish Emergency Nurse Association) and Dagens Medicine for inviting me to speak
- Helena Forsén & Johan Hultgren (sharing their top advice)
- Sofie Naredi (valuable feedback)
- Therese Djärv and Patrik Nilsson (recording)
1) Mackway-Jones K. Emergency triage: Manchester Triage Group. London: BMJ Publishing Group, 1997.
2) Wuerz RC, Milne LW, Eitel DR, Travers D, Gilboy N. Reliability and validity of a new five-level triage instrument. Acad Emerg Med. 2000 Mar;7(3):236-42. [PubMed]
3) Gottschalk SB, Wood D, DeVries S, Wallis LA, Bruijns S; Cape Triage Group. The Cape Triage Score: a new triage system South Africa. Proposal from the Cape Triage Group. Emerg Med J. 2006 Feb;23(2):149-53. [PubMed]
4) Widgren BR. [Results following standardized routine at the emergency department. Fewer circulatory/respiratory arrest and increased survival with METTS]. Lakartidningen. 2009 Sep 23-29;106(39):2444-5. [PubMed]
5) Christ M, Grossmann F, Winter D, Bingisser R, Platz E. Modern triage in the emergency department. Dtsch Arztebl Int. 2010 Dec;107(50):892-8. [PubMed]
6) van Ierland Y, van Veen M, Huibers L, Giesen P, Moll HA. Validity of telephone and physical triage in emergency care: the Netherlands Triage System. Fam Pract. 2011 Jun;28(3):334-41. [PubMed]
7) Ng CJ, Yen ZS, Tsai JC, Chen LC, Lin SJ, Sang YY, Chen JC. Validation of the Taiwan triage and acuity scale: a new computerised five-level triage system. Emerg Med J. 2011 Dec;28(12):1026-31. [PubMed]
8) Bambi S, Ruggeri M, Sansolino S, Gabellieri M, Tellini S, Giusti M, Ciulli E, Franchi F, Petrocchi L, Olivi M, Gravili RC, Biancalana P, Millanti A, Martini L, Sgrevi P. Emergency department triage performance timing. A regional multicenter descriptive study in Italy. Int Emerg Nurs. 2016 Nov;29:32-37. [PubMed]
9) Rutschmann OT, Hugli OW, Marti C, Grosgurin O, Geissbuhler A, Kossovsky M, Simon J, Sarasin FP. Reliability of the revised Swiss Emergency Triage Scale: a computer simulation study. Eur J Emerg Med. 2018 Aug;25(4):264-269. [PubMed]
10) Iversen AKS, Kristensen M, Østervig RM, Køber L, Sölétormos G, Lundager Forberg J, Eugen-Olsen J, Rasmussen LS, Schou M, Iversen KK. A simple clinical assessment is superior to systematic triage in prediction of mortality in the emergency department. Emerg Med J. 2019 Feb;36(2):66-71. [PubMed]
11) Swedish Council on Health Technology Assessment. Triage Methods and Patient Flow Processes in Emergency Departments: A Systematic Review. Swedish Council on Health Technology Assessment (SBU); 2010 Apr. SBU Yellow Report No. 197 [PubMed]
12) Moll HA. Challenges in the validation of triage systems at emergency departments. J Clin Epidemiol. 2010 Apr;63(4):384-8. [PubMed]
13) Hinson JS, Martinez DA, Cabral S, George K, Whalen M, Hansoti B, Levin S. Ann Emerg Med. Triage Performance in Emergency Medicine: A Systematic Review. 2018 Nov 20. pii: S0196-0644(18)31282-4. [PubMed]
14) Brouns SHA, Mignot-Evers L, Derkx F, Lambooij SL, Dieleman JP, Haak HR. Performance of the Manchester triage system in older emergency department patients: a retrospective cohort study. BMC Emerg Med. 2019 Jan 7;19(1):3. [PubMed]
15) Dabby R, Watemberg N, Lampl Y, Eilam A, Rapaport A, Sadeh M. Pathological laughter as a symptom of midbrain infarction. Behav Neurol. 2004;15(3-4):73-6. [PubMed]
16) Beaumont O, Miller R, Guy R. Atypical presentation of appendicitis. BMJ Case Rep. 2016 Nov 10;2016. pii: bcr2016217293. [PubMed]
17) Saunders T, Suzuki T. Atypical presentation of acute aortic dissection in a young competitive rower. BMJ Case Rep. 2018 Sep 4;2018. pii: bcr-2018-225712. [PubMed]
18) Levin S, Toerper M, Hamrock E, Hinson JS, Barnes S, Gardner H, Dugas A, Linton B, Kirsch T, Kelen G. Machine-Learning-Based Electronic Triage More Accurately Differentiates Patients With Respect to Clinical Outcomes Compared With the Emergency Severity Index. Ann Emerg Med. 2018 May;71(5):565-574.e2.[PubMed]
19) Hong WS, Haimovich AD, Taylor RA. Predicting hospital admission at emergency department triage using machine learning. PLoS One. 2018 Jul 20;13(7):e0201016. [PubMed]
20) Kim D, You S, So S, Lee J, Yook S, Jang DP, Kim IY, Park E, Cho K, Cha WC, Shin DW, Cho BH, Park HK. A data-driven artificial intelligence model for remote triage in the prehospital environment. PLoS One. 2018 Oct 23;13(10):e0206006. [PubMed]
21) Rendell K, Koprinska I, Kyme A, Ebker-White AA, Dinh MM. The Sydney Triage to Admission Risk Tool (START2) using machine learning techniques to support disposition decision-making. Emerg Med Australas. 2018 Nov 23. [PubMed]
22) Goto T, Camargo CA Jr, Faridi MK, Freishtat RJ, Hasegawa K. Machine Learning-Based Prediction of Clinical Outcomes for Children During Emergency Department Triage. JAMA Netw Open. 2019 Jan 4;2(1):e186937. [PubMed]
Medical doctor and clinical innovation fellow passionate about Emergency Medicine and the intersection of science, EBM and technology. Currently leading medical innovation and development at a Scandinavian healthtech company.